Model 8.25" CUT - 15 OZ DARK INDIGO KAIHARA
Cost: 975.000 IDR (85 €), postage not inc.
Japanese denim and hardware, handcrafted in Indonesia.
Now, this is one of the newer brands that caught my attention... No bullshit attitude, their write-up of the label's philosophy is simply this:
Inspired by the working class throughout the days, from cowboys, mine workers, factory workers, and every blue collar workers who shed their sweat everyday. Oldblue Co. bring back the essence of jeans which is a clothing to be worn outside and an everyday wear. Like back in the days when jeans and other clothing was just a tool that people use to build their nation.
We offer a pair of jeans in the simplest and the most basic possible way. No gimmick, no washes, no excessive marketing, no expensive packaging. Only a pair of well constructed jeans with a decent fabric and ready to be worn everyday. Every pairs of Oldblue Co. jeans are proudly cut and sewn by the hand of talented and hard working Indonesian workers. We only brought the best fabrics and put our heart on every stitch.
Oldblue Co., tailored for hard workers.
First of all, there's the service... Username "yax" on here seems to run things... He helped me throughout the process, even got my jeans hemmed at the production facility free of charge. Took 7 days (not working days, just one week) to get here. No custom fee. Well packed and came with a free hickory tote bag (which is really beautiful, I refer to my previous post for pictures).
First impression: denim is rigid, a bit streaky (which I love), not slubby or hairy àt all, nice and dark. The denim alone is worth the money, honestly.
Fit: I went with a 32". Have to admit I am more of a 33" waist these days but I went with the measurements of thigh, knee and legopening rather than waist. Took 5 minutes to get into and yes they're a little tight at the waist but they'll stretch. The rest of the fit is pretty much golden. Slim straight. Legopening is wide enough to fit boots underneath.
Things I really like:
* those red hickory pockets are out of this world man... Truly beautiful, and very heavy duty. A pity the back pockets aren't lined and fitted with hickory as well!.. Any ideas of making a shirt out of the stuff?.. ???
* the contrast stitching is beautiful!..
* price. You can't get around it: these are cheap
... You can't get new Levi's for that money in €urope... (And even if I could: why would I?..)
* brand philosophy also shows in the tags, the details like crotch rivet,... No bullshit...
Three things I'm not crazy about/ have mixed feelings about:
* rivets on the coinpocket... Scratches my knife and hands...
* backpocket stitching seems a bit uninspired but maybe it just has to grow on me...
* leather patch is thin and also a bit 'dull'. The logo sewed on the inside of the waistband on the other hand is absolutely brilliant. Why not integrate that design on the outside?..
All in all you get SERIOUS value for money, outstanding service, and a beautiful, sturdy pair of jeans that will last you a very long time... These are probably the best jeans one can buy to be introduced in the world of good, untreated denim!.. Spread the word!..